Thursday, June 5, 2014

Welcome to IAWP Region 22 ,Central and South East Asia

Hello, 
This is Amena Begam, I welcome you all to IAWP Region 22. Region 22 is a newly created region which has emerge from IAWP Region 15. IAWP made the history by making a new region from the Region 15 Asia to two Region, Region 22 Central and Southern Asia and Region 23 Eastern and South East Asia.




Region 22 includes countries - Afghanistan, Bangladesh , Bhutan , India, Iran, Kazakhstan, Kyrgyzstan, Maldives, Nepal, Pakistan, Sri Lanka, Tibet, Turkmenistan, Uzbekistan.

Let me introduce my self . I am Amena, Superintnedent of Police , Bangladesh Police. I joined Bangladesh Police in 1999 after my post graduation from Chittagong University through Bangladesh Civil Service Examination. I worked in different capacity during my 16 year career. I served in the United Nations Peace keeping Mission in East Timor UNMIT in 2006-2007. I was the Deputy Commander of Bangladesh Formed Police Unit (BAN FPU) in UNMIT.
    I joined IAWP in 2008 . Later I was elected Region 15 Coordinator in 2009. Since my joining I have been working to spread IAWP mission and vision in the countries of Asia . In regard to this I was the conference coordinator of IAWP's  First Asia Region Conference , Leadership for Police Women Asia in Dhaka, Bangladesh, 6-8 March , 2012. Since my joining I have been working on this big continent and found only 12 countries mentioned in the name list of IAWP Region 15. This took four years to include all the countries of Asia in IAWP name list . Now all the countries feel included in this International Networking of Police Women. I am also the founding member of Bangladesh Police Women Network which was established in November 2008. Since then I have been working on police women capacity building and enhancing the networking for building confidence of police women working in the field.

I attended several IAWP Annual conference since my coordinator responsiblity begins. I attended IAWP 48, 49 ,51 Annual Conference in Minneapolise , Kentucky USA and Durban , South Africa. Joining this Annual confernces of IAWP is rather wonderful experience and let me tell you that it is a sheer chance to meet so many International police women working all over this planet and how the different colours, diversity combine together under one umbrella of Internatinal Association of Women Police. 

I am proud to inform you that since my joining in IAWP I could enrich my self with the working experience on International level, on strategic planning , on capacity building , develop working environment of Police women in home and abroad and  on next goal of achieving performance. I could not learn so many things if I could not join IAWP. The IAWP Board of Directors are wonderful set of Police women who has wide experience on policing in their respective countries and Board of Directors meeting is an excellent platform to share this experience. This BOD help and share each others mode of problem solving in their respective countries. Since my joining in 2009 I raise the issue of including all the countries of Asian Continent behind the mind that it is the biggest continent and the countries name that are not mentioned in the name list of IAWP feel being excluded. At last Asia could emerge as Region 16, 22 and 23. 

Now let me share the works of Bangladesh Police women Network BPWN. Very few Police women network came into existence in the continent as per my knowledge . before that only Indian Women in Policing were there which includes senior women police officers on the higher rank . Bangladesh Police women Network begins its journey in 21 November 2008 with the initiative of Police Reform Program project supported by UNDP. The network includes all police women of the ranks and has diviosional committe who works regionaly through out the country to asses police women capacity, working barriers, working enviornment, confidence building. BPWN sits periodically to asses this and make recommendation to Police Head querters , Bangladesh Police. The Inspector General , Bangladesh Police is the chief Advisor of this Network and hence Bangladesh Police owns BPWN recommendations . The cureent President of Bangladesh Police Women Network is Mily Biswas , Deputy Inspector General and Addiitonal Commissioner , Dhaka Metropolitan Police , Bangladesh Police. 
 I am happy to inform that BPWN hold yearly National Conference and 2nd National Conference will take place from 11-12 June , 2014. The Honourable Speaker of the Bangladesh National Parliament Ms Shirine Sharmeen Chowdhury MP  will inaugurate the Conference.

I am thrilled to inform you that 3 Bangladesh Police women officers had been rewarded with the IAWP International Scholarship and IAWP Officer of the Year Award in 2012, 2013. Additional Superintnendent of Police Abida Sultana own the IAWP International Scholarship in 2012. Deputy Inspector General Ms Rowshan Ara Begum own the IAWP International Scholarship Award and Additional Superintendent of Police Al Beli Afifa own the IAWP Officer of the year award . Let us congratulate these three proud and efficient officers of Bangladesh Police.
Let me share more on the coming conference .......be connected .